THRIVING businesses are invited to step into the spotlight by entering the Spirit of Enterprise Awards 2017, which marks its 10th anniversary this year with the introduction of a special category, Business of the Decade.
Considered the most prestigious annual celebration of business excellence in the Great Yarmouth borough, the annual awards scheme is organised by enterpriseGY, Great Yarmouth Borough Council’s business support service.
Businesses are encouraged to put themselves forward for the various awards by noon on Monday, October 16. The awards are free-of-charge to enter online at www.spiritofenterpriseawards.co.uk and finalists will be profiled in a supplement in the Great Yarmouth Mercury, with winners appearing in a further supplement.
The special anniversary category, Business of the Decade, is open to all businesses in the borough – large or small – regardless of whether they have entered the competition before.
The finalists and winners will be showcased in the press and at a glittering awards ceremony and gala dinner at the Town Hall on Friday, November 17. The media sponsors are the Great Yarmouth Mercury and The Beach.
Each award is backed by a local organisation. Sponsors choose the winner in their category from three finalists shortlisted by a local independent panel or by the category sponsor themselves.
This year, enterpriseGY is delighted to announce that the main sponsor is Stephenson Smart, chartered accountants and business advisors, who willchoose the 2017 Business of the Year from the winners of the other categories.
The categories and sponsors are:
- Business of the Decade – sponsored by Norse
- Great Manufacturing/Engineering – sponsor to be announced
- Great New Business – sponsored by Noritake Itron
- Great Business Growth – sponsored by Bateman Groundworks
- Great Business Idea – sponsored by Seahorse Guest House
- Great Customer Services – sponsored by Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area Ltd (GYTABIA)
- Great Family Owned Business – sponsored by Birketts
- Great International Growth – sponsored by Pasta Foods
- Great Investment in People – sponsored by P&S Personnel
- Great Community Contribution – sponsored by Potters Friends Foundation
The Spirit of Enterprise Awards help to highlight the borough’s many and varied successful businesses, supporting one of the council’s priorities, which is to work with partners to help champion and enable economic growth and job-creation in the area.
In a joint statement, the council’s political group leaders, Cllr Graham Plant, Cllr Kay Grey, Cllr Trevor Wainwright and Cllr Adrian Myers, said: “The Spirit of Enterprise Awards are this year celebrating 10 fantastic years of recognising and raising the profile of top-performing firms across the borough.
“This wonderful showcase of successful businesses helps to boost confidence in the strength of the local economy, helping to create favourable conditions for investment, sustainable growth and job-creation.
“For the businesses themselves, having the chance to shout about and be recognised for their achievements brings important benefits, including raising their stature and reputation, and boosting staff morale.
“There are lots of brilliant businesses across the borough and we look forward to some strong contenders this year for both the title of 2017 Business of the Year and the special anniversary category of Business of the Decade.
“We must also take this opportunity to thank the 2017 sponsors, including main sponsor Stephenson Smart, without whom this wonderful celebration of business excellence would not be possible.”
This year, help and advice with entries is available from TMS Media, which is working in partnership with enterpriseGY, by calling Steve Scott or Rachel Moore on 01493 662929. Video entries are also welcome.
- Cllr Graham Plant is the council leader of Great Yarmouth Borough Council. Cllr Kay Grey is the UKIP group leader. Cllr Trevor Wainwright is the Labour group leader. Cllr Adrian Myers is the Tribune group leader.