Harleston Jay’s Green Towermill
Harleston towermill stood on the corner of Candlers Lane, Jay’s Green, Harleston.
The five storey mill had 3 pairs of French burr stones that were powered by 4 double shuttered patent sails, each with 8 bays of 3 shutters and 1 bay of 4 shutters.
The boat shaped cap held an 8 bladed fan.
A portable steam engine was supplying auxiliary power to the mill in 1861.
1916: Mill taken down, although in good order, by Knights of Harleston but the Mill House remained.
News from the past . . .
HARLESTON – Bale KNIGHTS
Police accomplice in case of corn robberies.
Charge by Suffolk Police not proceeded with.
Norfolk News – 12th January 1861
J. Caley Respectfully announces the undermentioned
SALES by AUCTION
during the next month at HARLESTON
A Neat Dwelling House & Garden. Capital Brick Tower Windmill with 3 pairs of stones and a Cottage in four tenements, the property of the late Mr. William Barber.
Messrs. Carthew & Fox Solrs.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News – 18th May 1861
The Bankruptcy Act 1861
Notice of Sittings for Last Examination
BALE KNIGHTS late of Harleston in the County of Norfolk, Miller & now a prisoner of debt in the Gaol of the City of Norwich having been adjudged Bankrupt under a Petition for Adjudication of Bankruptcy filed in the Court of Bankruptcy for the London District on the 18th day of March…
A public sitting for the said Bankrupt to pass his last examination.
Norfolk News – 19th April 1862
To be let
A Capital BRICK TOWER WINDMILL driving three pairs of French stones with all the requisite machinery & well situated for trade, near the terminus of the Waveney Valley Railway at Harleston.
Possession at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Muskett, Harleston.
Norfolk Chronicle – 6th September 1866
For more history about this mill and many others, please visit – www.norfolkmills.co.uk