CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF ART 1966 – 2016
Halesworth is an old Suffolk town whose market was granted by King Henry III in 1223.
The Gallery occupies what used to be the town’s almshouses, lying alongside St Mary’s churchyard. It is a beautiful building erected c 1686 with a legacy from benefactor Mr Cary.
The Halesworth Art Gallery Association was founded in 1966 when the building was converted into extensive gallery space, and it has held an annual range of exhibitions since then.
The objective was, and still is, ‘to exhibit modern painting and sculpture of the highest possible standard on a non-profit making basis and for the enjoyment of all.’ Early exhibitors included John Constable (a descendant), Elisabeth Frink, Mary Fedden, Felix Topolski, Mary Potter, Josef Hermann and Margaret Mellis.
The Gallery shows mainly the work of those artists who have a connection with East Anglia. Selection of artists for exhibition takes place in January each year following advertisements in the national art press.
Email [email protected] for submission details.
The gallery is run by a Committee made up of artists and local people interested in Fine Art, and the shows are supervised by volunteers.
Vital support is also given by ‘Friends of the Gallery’ who pay a small annual subscription, for which they receive a specially commissioned artwork and are invited to previews.
Email [email protected] for more details.
The Halesworth Gallery
Gallery Tel: 01986 873064
April 23rd – October 12th 2016
Monday – Saturday 11am – 5pm
Sundays 2 – 4pm
All details of our forthcoming exhibitions can be found on our website