The National Gardens Scheme in Norfolk has three contrasting spring gardens opening over the Easter weekend so if you fancy some exercise after eating all those Easter eggs then start here!
Desert World Gardens nr Thetford IP27 0TU is open from Good Friday to Easter Monday and the one acre plot has something for everyone from magnolias to cacti. There are plant hunts each day with prizes but no more Easter eggs!
On Easter Sunday The Conifers at Wreningham, NR16 1AT welcomes you with swathes of daffodils and trees full of spring blossom. Wretham Lodge at East Wretham,IP24 1RL also opens on the Sunday and Easter Monday where you can wander through a meadow full of fritillaries and seek out Hellebores and a multi-coloured display of specie tulips in the walled gardens.
For more information visit www.ngs.org.uk or pick up a yellow guide from your local tourist information centre,library, garden centre or nursery.
- Founded in 1927, The National Gardens Scheme (NGS) has donated more than £22 million to charity in the last ten years.
- In 2012 Norfolk raised over £75000
- Opening gardens of quality, character and interest since 1927
- In 2012 The National Gardens Scheme donated £2.6 million to the charities it supports
- The NGS is Macmillan Cancer Supports biggest ever donor and has given £13.8m in total
- The NGS is Marie Curie biggest ever donor and has given £5.9m in total
- In 2012 the donation made to Help the Hospices was the biggest they have ever received
- The donation made to Perennial in 2012 is the largest in the charity’s 174 year history
Friday 29th March to Monday 1st April 2013
DESERT WORLD GARDENS
Thetford Road (B1107), Santon Downham, IP27 0TU. Open 10-5 Adm £3.50, chd free. Light refreshments.
1¼ acres plantsman’s garden, specialising in tropical and arid plants. Hardy succulents – sempervivums, hanging gardens of Babylon (plectranthus). Main garden – bamboos, herbaceous primula theatre, spring bulbs,. Over 70 varieties of magnificent magnolias. View from roof garden.
Sunday 31st March 2013
Wymondham Road, Wreningham NR16 1AT. Open1-4 Adm £3.50, chd free.
1½-acre garden with 3 ponds and bog garden, herbaceous and shrub borders, rose pergolas and statuary. Informal area featuring many trees inc walnut, medlar,larch, birch and oak. In spring blossom and massed planting of daffodils and narcissi. New pond area and planting for 2013.
Sunday 31st March and Monday 1st April 2013
East Wretham IP24 1RL Open12-5. Adm £4, chd free.
In spring masses of species tulips, hellebores, fritillaries, daffodils and narcissi; bluebell walk. Walled garden. and fine old trees.