Aldeburgh Festival, Class 47 No47596 at Dereham 22nd August 2012 Photo by Leslie Dale
Mid-Norfolk Railway announces an extensive line-up for its Class 47 Golden Jubilee Event, 21st -23rd September 2012.
Subject to availability the following locos are expected to attend:
- 47292 courtesy of the Great Central Railway (North)
- 47375 courtesy of Nemesis Rail
- 47401 courtesy Brush Type 4 Fund and the Midland Railway Centre
- 47580 courtesy of the Stratford Class 47 Group
- 47596 courtesy of the Stratford Class 47 Group
- 47703 courtesy of Harry Needle Railroad Company
- 47769 courtesy of Riviera Trains
- 47798 courtesy of the National Railway Museum
- Direct Rail Services Class 47 – to be confirmed
Following in the footsteps of the MNR’s 2010 Class 37 Golden Jubilee mega-gala, which was rated by many as THE preserved event of the year, the MNR expects no lesser status to be awarded to its Class 47 Golden Jubilee Gala.
The lineup for the event is designed to represent Class 47s over the years, from no-heat freight machines, to push-pull Scottish locos, a former Royal Train engine, popular Stratford Class 47 varieties, right up to the latest Direct Rail Services frontline fleet.
All locos will be in service on the Mid-Norfolk Railway’s 11 1⁄2 miles between Wymondham and Dereham, with it’s popular air-braked set of coaches also in service.
These venerable machines are still in front-line service today with several companies and their popularity has seen a number undergo extensive overhauls in recent years to extend their service life. Train heat capabilities and widespread driver traction knowledge mean their use on charter trains is popular due to their high route availability and efficiency.
The MNR is VERY grateful for the support of the above owners and companies for lending their engines for what will be the largest gathering of the class in recent years.
MID-NORFOLK RAILWAY PRESERVATION TRUST
The Wymondham-Dereham-North Elmham-County School Line
Further details of the MNR may be found on our website www.mnr.org.uk