Burgh St Peter Towermill
Burgh St Peter towermill was a five storey mill built c.1825 in red brick and was probably built to supplement the nearby Wheatacre postmill that was also worked by James Sayer.
In 1839 it was advertised as being nearly new and was equipped with patent sails on an iron windshaft with stones and a flour mill. A steam auxiliary engine had been installed by 1872 and the mill was mainly producing grist rather than flour using 3 pairs of underdriven stones on the 2nd floor.
An additional 2 pairs of 4ft 6ins French burr stones were added in 1906. The mill had 4 double shuttered sails, each with 10 bays of 3 shutters, a boat shaped cap with a gallery and 6 bladed fan with a chain pole.
News from the past . . .
TOWER & POST WINDMILLS Land & Cottages at WHEATACRE BURGHTo be Sold by Auction at the White Lion Inn, Beccles on Friday 26 April instant at 4 o’c (Unless previously disposed of by Private Contract of which Notice will be given)
Lot 1. All that substantial Freehold Brick TOWER WINDMILL, nearly new, with Patent Sails, Winding Tackle, Iron Shaft, Flour Mills, Stones & Jumpers complete, together with half an Acre of land attached thereto. Early possession may be had of this lot.
Lot 2. All that POST WINDMILL … (Wheatacre)
Lot 3. All those Freehold Tenements or Cottages, Stable, Piggeries & other Buildings together with 2 Acres of Arable Land in the Occupation of Mr. James Sayer & Robert Moore.
Lot One will be Sold with the Trade attached to both Mills, as Mr. Sayer is withdrawing from the business.
Apply to Mr. James Sayer or to Mr. Barnard, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle – 13th & 20th April 1839
To Millers WHEATACRE BURGH Mills. Between Beccles & Lowestoft.
To be Sold by Private Contract. Together or separately.
All those Tower & Post WINDMILLS, Cottages & Two acres & a half of Land in the occupation of Mr. James SAYER, with every convenience for the Trade. This is an established situation – both Mills stand upon remarkably high ground in a fine Corn District & very near the Navigation from Beccles to Lowestoft & possession may be had immediately.
Apply to Mr. BARNARD, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle – 18th May 1839
Situations Vacant TO MILLERS Wanted immediately, in a Country Mill, a Young Man who has been accustomed to Steam Power & the Grist Trade. None need apply who cannot have a good character from his last employer.
Apply to Mr. G. HAMMOND, Burgh St. Peter near Beccles, Suffolk.
Norfolk News – 20th July 1872
Burgh St. Peter 1 ½ miles from Aldeby Station, 1 ½ miles from the Burgh Staithe & 4 ½ miles from Beccles.
Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from Mr. George HAMMOND who is retiring from the business to Sell by Auction on Saturday 13 June 1874 at 2 for 3 o’c at the Rampant Horse Hotel, Norwich the well built Brick Tower WIND FLOUR MILL. In substantial & good working order, has 5 floors, drives 3 pairs of Stones, with Dwelling house, Stables, Gig house, Cart shed & roomy Barn attached
Also 2 Cottages adjoining.
Particulars of Mr. T.M. Baker, Solr. Great Yarmouth or of the Auctioneers, Norwich & Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News – 9th & 25th May 1874
To be Sold by Private Contract
The well built Freehold WIND FLOUR MILL situate in the Parish of Burgh St. Peter, 1¼ Miles from Aldeby Station, 1½ Miles from Burgh Staithe & 4½ Miles from Beccles.
The Mill is in substantial repair & good working order, has five floors, drives three pair of Stones. Slate & Brick Stable, Gig house, Cart shed, Brick & Tiled Barn & Slate Building adjoining the Mill for Portable Engine. The Dwelling house has a garden in front & contains …
The Engine & usual Mill Fixtures will have to be paid for by the purchaser at a valuation in the usual way.
Immediate possession will be given if required.
Also two Freehold Cottages adjoining the Mill.
The Attention of Millers is called to this property. The Mill stands in a good Corn District & commands a fine retail & bag trade. An energetic man taking the premises would undoubtedly ensure a first class business.
Apply to Mr. T.M. Baker, Solr. Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle – 4th, 11th & 16th March 1876For more history about this mill and many others, please visit –