Hales towermill was built of red brick in the early 1800s and was 5 storeys high, standing on a mound next to the mill house.The mill had 4 patent double shuttered sails that were struck by rack & pinion, one pair having 8 bays of 3 shutters and one pair having 9 bays of 3 shutters. The boat shaped cap had a petticoat, a gallery and an 8 bladed fan. The tower had 2 ground floor doors.
By 1981, all that remained was a single storey, partly ivy covered, brick base with no roof, containing fallen beams. A new housing estate was being constructed nearby.
By 2005, the single storey brick base still stood in the farmyard, which itself remained as an oasis within the new housing estate.
News from the past . . .
To be Sold by Auction
(Under a power of Sale to the Mortgagee)
By Mr. John Culley on Thursday 29 May 1834 at 4 o’c at the Kings Head, Bungay.
Consists of an excellent Brick Tower Windmill, Miller’s Cottage & Outbuidings & a Dwelling house occupied as a Beer House together with one Acre of Land situate at Hales in the county of Norfolk.
The Mill & Premises & part of the Land are under Lease to — Fuller & another & the Beer House & remaining part of the Land are in the occupation of — Crisp as Tenent from year to year.
All Freehold. Outgoings Land Tax 4s. per annum.
Apply to Mr. Steward, Solr. or the Auctioneer, St. Andrews, Norwich.
– Norfolk Chronicle – 24th May 1834J. M. Goff
Sale 5 October 1863
Horses, Carts & other effects of James Hood, miller, deceased.
– Norfolk Chronicle – 3rd October 1863Situations Vacant
TO JOURNEYMAN MILLERS
Wanted, a Man to work a Windmill. Must be steady.
Apply to James R. Hood, Hales Mill, Loddon, Norfolk.
– Norfolk News – 11th & 18th October 1873
For more history about this mill and many others, please visit – www.norfolkmills.co.uk