Art Alive in Norfolk Churches,
Saturday, May 23 to Monday, May 25
Twenty-five historic Norfolk churches (full list below) will be bursting with artistic endeavour during art alive in churches, Bank Holiday weekend Saturday, May 23 to Monday, May 25, daily 10am to 4pm.
Local painters, sculptors, puppeteers, stained glass artists, wool and basket weavers, goldsmiths, writers and flower arrangers, along with a furniture maker, storyteller, book binder, wood carver, and an embroidery specialist will be in residence, taking their inspiration from a fabulous selection of medieval churches. Visitors will be able to work alongside the artists throughout the weekend.
Art alive in churches is being organised by The Diocese of Norwich and Norfolk County Council with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
– Maz Jackson, fresh from exhibition success in Beijing, Paris, Ferrara and Osaka will be using the North Norfolk Coast as her inspiration to create egg tempera magic in St Mary, Wiveton.
– Sculptor, David Holgate will be at St Mary, Aldeby, integrating the animals to be found in the church with letter carving and calligraphy with brushes.
– Ss. Nicholas, Mark and Thomas, Blakeney will host local painter, Terry Bestwick, who will work on a large canvas creating church art for the 21st century.
– The legend of the Ludham Worm will provide the background for a Dragon Trail in the Norfolk Broads featuring St Catherine Ludham, St Michael Irstead, St Benedict Horning and St Benet’s Abbey. Linda Matthews will be painting dragon designs at Ludham. Norwich Puppet Theatre will be at Irstead. A Dragon Trail produced by Katie Hawks, illustrated by local school children will link the churches and St Benet’s Abbey.
– The Worstead Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers will be working at All Saints Welborne demonstrating weaving, rug, braid and tassel making and tapestry.
The Right Reverend Graham James, Lord Bishop of Norwich said: “Norfolk is unique with 648 historic churches, more than anywhere else in the world. Without churches you will lose a key element of our county’s countryside. Art alive is an excellent initiative, promoting the architectural and artistic beauty of our churches and inspiring people to explore the special nature of these spiritual treasures.”
John Gretton, Cabinet Member for Cultural Services, Norfolk County Council said: “We are delighted to be working with the Diocese of Norwich on art alive for a second year. Art alive encourages people to discover Norfolk’s rich medieval heritage and take part in a celebration of the county’s arts and crafts, working alongside a superb selection of Norfolk’s best artists and crafts people.”
Art alive in churches, www.norwich.anglican.org
Norwich – theme The Guilds
Norwich Cathedral, the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity NR1 4EH, treasury with Nigel Bumphrey
St Peter Mancroft, NR2 1RD,
St Andrew, NR2 1AQ silver and goldsmithing with Nigel Bumphrey and Mary Fewster
St Peter Hungate, NR3 1AE stained glass museum
Norfolk Broads – theme Dragon Trail
St Catherine Ludham, NR29 5AB with painter Linda Matthews
St Michael Irstead, NR12 8XR, with Norwich Puppet Theatre
St Benedict Horning, NR12 8PZ, with storyteller Neil Storey
St Benet’s Abbey the final of the dragon trail
North Norfolk Coast
Saints Nicholas, Mary & Thomas Blakeney, NR25 7NJ, with painter Terry Bestwick, church art for the 21st century
St Margaret, Cley, NR25 7TT, with thatcher Tony Hoare
St Mary, Wiveton, NR25 7TP, with egg tempera artist, Maz Jackson
Paston Letters theme
St Mary East Ruston, NR12 9HN, (Churches Conservation Trust) with the New Writing Partnership
St Mary Happisburgh, NR12 0PN, with the New Writing partnership
St Margaret Paston, NR28 9TA, with artist Lucy Care
St Mary Aldeby, NR34 0BH, with sculptor David Holgate
St Mary Burgh St Peter, NR34 0BT, with bookbinder Bev Woolner
St Mary’s Haddiscoe, NR14 6PT
All Saints Wheatacre, NR34 0AU, flower arranging and flower festival
St Mark’s Ten Mile Bank, between Denver and Littleport (Diocese of Ely) with the New Writing Partnership
St Peter Great Walsingham, NR22 6DW, with Andy Hibberd wood carver
Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, West Barsham, NR21 9NS, watercolour painting with Kate Bligh
St Giles, Houghton St Giles, NR22 6AQ, embroidery with Eileen Bumphrey
Animals and Weaving theme
All Saints Welborne, NR20 3LQ, with The Worstead Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers
All Saints Mattishall, NR20 3QF, basket weaving with Sandra Barker
St Mary, East Bradenham, IP25 7QL (Churches Conservation Trust) stained glass with John Bardell