Susie’s Favourite Recipes
300 g (12 oz) Self-Raising Flour
5 ml (1 tsp) Mixed Spice
100 g (4 oz) Ground Almonds
200 g (8 oz) Butter
200 g (8oz) Castor Sugar
4 eggs beaten with a 125 ml (8 tsp) Milk
200 g (8 oz) Currants
200 g (8 oz) Sultanas
200 g (8 oz) Raisins
100 g (4 oz) Halved Glaze Cherries
100 g (4 oz) Mixed Peel
(I don’t add the peel as my family does not like it)
23cm round or 20.5 square tin, greased and lined
* You can soak the fruit in port for a few days before making the cake to add a rich flavour.
* Sieve the flour, spice and ground almonds together.
* Cream the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
* Add the flour and the egg mixture a little at a time until all is used up.
* Add the fruit and . . .
. . . this is the special part where all my family takes part, we start with either the oldest or the youngest. Each have to make a special Christmas wish while stirring the mixture.
* Now that the mixture is well stirred from all the wishes,
place in the prepared tin and put in a slow oven, 150 C – 300 F – Gas Mark 2.
* The cake will take about 4 to 4 1/2 hours to cook.
* You may need to protect the top with brown paper so that the cake does not burn.
* Cover with marzipan and decorate.
* Have a Wonderful Christmas and enjoy your cake.